Boating & Angling Guides
The following guides provide useful information for boaters using Sarasota and Manatee County waters. They also provide vital information to educate boaters about responsible use of waterways and protection of natural resources.
- Click here to download the Boating and Angling Guide to Sarasota County
- Click here to download the Boating and Angling Guide to Manatee County
Find out more about recreational opportunities around Sarasota Bay.
- Click here to download the Sarasota Bay Blueways Guide pdf
Speed zones are marked with signs and/or buoys that have an “International Orange” circle, which signifies the area is a regulated waterway. It is the boaters responsibility to read and follow the regulatory messages on these markers. If you don’t understand these markers you can learn about them from the resources below.
- Map of the speed zones in Manatee County Download the PDF.
- Map of the speed zones in Sarasota County Download the PDF.
Florida’s Recreational Boating Requirements
Provides information on rules and requirements for boating such as life jackets, vessel lighting, accident reporting, speed restrictions, etc.
How You Can Protect Seagrass
Navigating Florida’s shallow waters can be a challenge for even the most experienced boater. With a little care, you can avoid damaging seagrass habitat (and your boat!) and avoid fines, fees and other costs associated with running aground. For more information visit http://flseagrass.org/boating.php
Florida’s Clean Marina Programs
Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has a series of Clean Marina Programs that raise awareness with marine facilities and boaters regarding environmentally friendly practices. Marinas, boatyards and marine retailers receive “clean” designations by implementing and maintaining a host of best management practices.
The Florida Clean Marina Program is a voluntary designation program demonstrating environmental stewardship. Participants receive assistance in implementing Best Management Practices through on-site and distance technical assistance, mentoring by other Clean Marinas and continuing education. To become designated as a Clean Marina, facilities must implement a set of environmental Best Management Practices (BMP) designed to protect Florida’s waterways. These BMP’s address critical environmental issues such as sensitive habitat, waste management, storm water control, spill prevention and emergency preparedness.
Thank you for supporting the local marinas that have been designated Clean Marinas by DEP.
Cannons Marina – Longboat Key – 941-383-1311
Crow’s Nest Marina – Venice – 941-484-7661
Galati Yacht Sales – Anna Maria Island – 941-778-0755
Gulf Harbor Marina – Nokomis – 941-488-7734
Hyatt Regency Marina – Sarasota – 941-812-4063
Longboat Key Moorings – Longboat Key – 941-383-8383
Marina Jack – Sarasota – 941-955-9488
Regatta Point Marina – Palmetto – 941-729-6021
Riviera Dunes Marina – Palmetto – 941-723-9595
Twin Dolphin Marina – Bradenton – 941-747-8300
The Venice Yacht Club – Venice – 941-488-7708
United States Power Squadrons
The United States Power Squadrons (USPS) is a non profit, educational organization dedicated to making boating safer and more enjoyable by teaching classes in seamanship, navigation and related subjects. Their members are boating families who contribute to their communities by promoting safe boating through education. USPS, America’s largest non-profit boating organization has some 45,000 members organized into 450 squadrons across the country.
Anna Maria Island Power Squadron
Manatee Sail & Power Squadron
Sarasota Power Squadron
Venice Sail & Power Squadron
For more information on public boating safety, seamanship, and navigation courses offered by U.S. Power Squadrons and U.S. Coast Guard auxiliaries in our area, call Boat U.S. toll-free at 1-800-336-BOAT.
Your local Coast Guard Auxiliary offers a free boat inspection to advise boaters of state and federal safety requirements. Violations found during these courtesy exams will not be reported to authorities.
- Paddle Sarasota: A Guide to Sarasota’s Kayak and Canoe Trails can be used to navigate designated paddling routes through open water as well as mangrove trails. Each paddling trail has detailed directions to Launch Points.
- Paddle Manatee: A Guide to Area Canoe and Kayak Trail is designed to be used along with the paddling markers in our area waterways to help guide paddlers throughout Manatee County’s waters.
Regional Kayak & Canoe Suppliers
- Almost Heaven: 941-504-6296
- Florida Watersports: 941-798-3721
- Beach Bums: 941-778-3316 (offering discount if you mention Bay Wise)
- Economy Tackle: 941-922-9671
- Silent Sports: 941-966-5477
- Midnight Pass Bike and Kayak: 941-346-0891
- Siesta Sports Rentals: 941-346-1797
- Island Style Watersports: 941-954-1009
If your business would like to be added to this list please send your kayak/canoe rental info to firstname.lastname@example.org.